FLW - Fallingwater

Every time we travel to Oak Park Illinois I renew my love of the prairie style of architecture and the building/designs of Frank Lloyd Wright. From 1887 to 1959 FLW never stopped designing and re-designing and changing his style. Take a few minutes to read about FLW in the link.

In 2017 we took a road trip to Oak Park to visit family and Andrew and I toured FLW's home and studio. I will say that I love his style of the building but decorating, not so much. He was very determined that all space be used and nothing wasted, the homes furniture needed to go with the building, and I know people that love that, me not so much but I can appreciate it.

This year we stopped at Fallingwater in Mill Run Pennsylvania. It is close enough for a day trip we just never made the effort, I'm so sorry that we didn't go sooner. The house is very lovely but it's all about how it is built into the landscape. The house was built for the Kaufmann Family who owned the Kaufmann Department Store in Pittsburgh.  Listening to the tour guide talk about the house and the family gave insight into the relationship between the Kaufmanns and FLW, they struggled with Mrs. Kaufmann wanting pieces she had collected from around the world in their home and FLW wanting things his way. The windows in Mr. Kaufmann's bedroom are in the corner and when open there is nothing to obstruct the view of Bear Run.

Photos are not allowed in the house but you can take exterior pictures that really show off how FLW worked the house into the landscape, to me this is the finest example of architecture really considering the land where a home will be.


.
If you ever get the chance to go to Fallingwater, please do so, it is worth the drive from our area and it really will take your breath away.

We are home, laundry is almost caught up and everyone is back in the swing of things here at the house.

Until Next Time
Be Kind


Comments