Dinner Time

By now most of y'all know that I love to cook...I mean really really love to cook and when I'm on a cooking tear you better watch out, you'll never know what I'll come up with.

This past weekend I made a big pot of tomato sauce and a very tasty pumpkin bread.  The sauce will be for dinner one night this week and the rest goes in the freezer for those nights I just want to do something quick and easy.  The pumpkin bread was tasty and I would share the recipe but it needs some tweaking, I got it off a website and the cooking time was way off...I'm talking like 45 minutes way off...but all turned out good but I still need to play with it before sharing.





I'm not really a recipe girl unless it comes to baking so when someone says to me...how did you make that I have to stand in my kitchen and really think through the steps.  But last night I made sweet potato/black bean enchiladas and they were tasty...so while the steps are fresh in my mind...and your interested here goes...

4 small sweet potatoes or 2 large
1 can black beans
olive oil 1 tbs
half a sweet onion chopped
1/2 clove of garlic
1/2 to whole jalopeno pepper chopped
1 1/2 to 2 tps of ground cumin
6 to 10 dashes of hot sauce (I prefer Tabasco)
salt & pepper to taste
Flour Tortillas
Monterey Jack Cheese
 Jar Salsa or homemade

Bake Sweet Potatoes till done, you can use the oven or microwave (I prefer the oven), once cool enough to touch remove skin, mash slightly with fork, you want small lumps.  In small sauce pan add olive oil, onion, garlic, jalopeno pepper, saute' till soft (make sure not to burn garlic).  Add black beans to pan, add cumin and hot sauce, salt & pepper.  cook till beans are done.  Add cooked beans to potatoes and mix, you want to make sure you don't mash the sweet potatoes too much or you'll loose the flavor they add to this dish.  Place a serving spoon spice of mixture in a small flour tortilla, a little bit of cheese and roll, if you over fill you won't get a enchilada you'll have a burrito.  Place filled shell seam side down in dish (place a few table spoons of salsa in dish before this step so they don't stick).  Once you've filled the dish, you can top the shells with more salsa and cheese to your likings.  Bake 350 for 20 minutes, remember you only need to melt the cheese. 
I served this dish with a fresh avocado salad and sour cream but you could just as easily just add sour cream and chips. 

I hope you enjoy this fall feeling dish....we sure did...and there's plenty for leftovers.

Enjoy and healthy eating...
Kelly Ann

Comments

  1. Looks so yummy!!! I'll have to try these on Mr. Mayor ;-)

    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment